loading...

IU to romance Lee Seon-kyun for My Ajusshi?

loading...

That question mark is there because the casting is not finalized, but it’s also there because that’s my state of mind about this scenario: Is this a pairing we want to see? I don’t know. I don’t definitively hate it… but I don’t love it… and mostly I’m confused.

So, let’s unpack these feelings: IU (Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo) has been offered and is “seriously considering” a lead role in the upcoming tvN drama My Ajusshi, which has now confirmed Lee Seon-kyun (This Week, My Wife Will Have an Affair) in the starring role. I love Lee Seon-kyun, he broke my heart in This Week, and he is definitely on the top of my list of favorite ajusshis. Attached is Misaeng and Signal director Kim Won-seok, who is amazing. Writing is Oh Hae-young Again’s Park Hae-young.

On the other hand, IU. I’ve liked her very much in some roles (The Producers), but also really disliked her in others (Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo, Pretty Man). She seems so very young, and I’m not sure her acting chops (which have potential, but are inconsistent) can match Lee Seon-kyun. I can squint and sort of envision this working out okay, but I also can’t help but think there are actresses who might be better. (Is Park So-dam free?)

But I recognize that the casting is playing to that sense of awkwardness intentionally, to draw out the premise of “a romance between a fortysomething man and a twentysomething woman living completely different lives, but both feeling the same weight of those lives.” I imagine that it’s those differences that make for a compelling connection as they look at each other’s lives and offer healing to each other.

Perhaps the most compelling point: By this point I basically trust PD Kim to do whatever he wants because he’s so in command of his craft. I’m definitely intrigued. I don’t even know if I want IU to say yes or no, but I suppose I’m equally fine with either scenario.

My Ajusshi is aiming for an early 2018 broadcast, with plans to begin filming at the end of November.

loading...

Comments